Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The content analysis of my dreams

I dream a lot. The theme and content keep changing but I have been dreaming since I was a kid. I usually share my dreams with one of my family member or a friend the day after and then I forget. With three decades of dreaming experience concerning various topics I guess I am very well qualified to be a case study for some kind of “Dream Analysis” project! Well, till some one selects me for such research I thought I can explore the mysterious and fascinating world of my dreams and do a content analysis.

Dreams, they are unique as every individual is. It is said that every dream is connected with our personal life and experiences. It is also said that for the most part dreams are a reasonable simulation of waking life in terms of characters, social interactions, activities, and settings. I don’t think I can completely agree to that statement because my dreams are practically impossible in any real life.

When I was a kid I used to dream the whole Tom and Jerry show. Not the ones I watched but a whole new episode. I wish I jotted them down soon after I woke up, I could have sent the scripts to the directors! I used to dream of being a part of army or military personnel (influenced by a character in a TV series). I used to read science fiction by “Arthur C Clarke”. I dreamt of alien life in a very different way nothing as shown in movies. Recently I had a dream of a full length action movie shot in the streets of Paris featuring me in the lead role of course. How about that?

So what do they mean? What should I interpret from them? Some times I am aware that I am dreaming. When I wake up in between a dream, I go back to sleep and try to search for the part where it was paused and continue from there. This is scientifically possible and it is termed as “Lucid Dreaming” or “Dreaming consciousness”. But one thing I do not understand is how come I am having such heroic fantasies with my conscious mind! I think sub consciously I like experiencing such things but it is terrifying in real life and safe to explore in a dream state.

Recently my dreams have become more realistic. I did a considerable amount of gardening this summer and I had dreams of my garden in a house we lived when I was a kid. I also dreamt of signing books for my New York best seller! I wish it comes true. To dive into this analysis, I think I should have a journal to keep track of what I dream. If I am not able to conclude anything out of it, I can at least use them for my writing purposes. I am positive they make good stories.

I usually wish my friends on their birthdays “I wish all your dreams and aspirations may come true very soon”. But now, I don’t think I will say that any more. Some dreams are better off in sleep than in real life. I guess I will edit the line and remove the word “all” and make it “The dreams of your choice”!

No comments: