Monday, November 26, 2007

The conscious, unconscious and the subconscious mind

To start with let me explain what made me write this post. I dream a lot. Sometimes I dream almost everyday and more than one dream in a single night! And these days I guess it is the dream season for me. I started thinking about why do we dream and do they mean anything?

My exploration on dreams lead me to Sigmund Freud's research, different states of sleep, and the various states of mind - the conscious, unconscious, and the subconscious mind. While I am still performing my analysis on these topics, I saw a movie today which dealt with schizophrenia. What are the odds?

I just realized that I deleted a chain email which said I will confront bad luck if I do not forward it to a 1000 people. All these incidents sounded a little scary as the movie was, so I thought let me finish writing this, delete the document from my hard disk and forget about these terms forever :)

Starting with the conscious mind, it is definitely not our true self. We consciously try not to hurt people or do something wrong even though in some situations we have a strong urge to do so. Sometimes or may be in many cases we do not express our true feelings to others either because we are scared of the consequences or are aware of the realistic world.

The term subconscious as it sounds is not a complete opposite of conscious. What ever we do in our subconscious state is what we would like to do. But this word is misused as they say that the person may not be guilty as he/she may have done something in their subconscious state.

We all have our own fantasies, insecurities, and lot of other stuff going on in our minds which we do not express always. But at times we open up, we loose patience leading a hypocritical life, may be just for a moment and I guess those are our subconscious deeds.

Coming to the unconscious mind, this is the complicated state of all. This is something which we are not aware of about ourselves. It is cultivated by our surroundings and our brought up.

My perception - sometimes when we strongly believe on doing something and all the facts and people around us support that decision, somewhere something in you says not to do it, an inner voice may be. That is the unconscious mind talking. The voice is a good one in certain people and not so good in others. One should see Ram Gopal Varma’s movies to get a better picture of the scary unconscious minds ;-)

This is my theory of the different states of mind. I have to relate this to my dreams and do a content analysis. Stay tuned for the report!

1 comment:

Mytreyi said...

Hello Madhuri.
a really very interesting topic to discuss.

its interesting how ppl interchange the use of the subconcious and unconscious mind. anything which goes wrong is attributed to the unconcious mind where as it is actually the sub-concious mind doing it.
i guess, a human being balancing a sub and a concious mind is the one who is an achiever in every sense.