Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The view from my kitchen window

My kitchen window has a beautiful view. For a while now I have looked outside several times but hardly paid attention to the beauty of the scene lying ahead. My three year old started school this September. I struggle every morning preparing breakfast, packing lunch, getting him ready, and sending him to school all in 45 minutes time. I don’t have enough time to relish my morning coffee.

One morning, the last week of September I guess, I woke up thinking that it is another morning with the same routine. I wanted some fresh air and opened up the window. It was 8.00am. One look out of my window changed everything. The golden hue of the Sun peeking over the tree in my front yard on the wall next to the window was so beautiful. It was a calm and pleasant morning. A lush green lawn with the serenity of a landscape, the freshness in the air and the cold breeze awakened my spirits.

I lived in this house for almost two years now. But it felt like a new revelation to me. I made it a point to open the window first thing I entered the kitchen everyday. I never liked cooking and cleaning dishes. But now I don’t mind so much as I have some thing great to look at while doing so. The scene changes everyday with the changing seasons. Some times it is bright and sunny; some times it is foggy or cloudy.

Some changes are very gradual and yet other things happen in just a few days. With the approach of fall, I started looking every morning for the changing colors of leaves. The slow rustle of the fallen leaves with a cold breeze is marvelous. The morning’s delight, birds perching, squirrels going up and down the tree, it is a sheer joy to see.

As I see the leaves fall it felt so nice, a few yellow leaves here and there on the green lawn. But with in a couple of days the lawn gets filled with leaves, it looks so crowded. I thought that my mood swings the same way! Some time the days are just so pleasant and happy. But things around me, the happenings in my life, start bothering me and my mind becomes crowded like my lawn. But then my gardener came and cleaned up the rubble. Now I have a clean lawn again.

The lesson learnt is no matter how bad our minds get clogged with lots of things there will be some thing or some one like my gardener who will help clean it up and make it all nice and beautiful again. All said and done life is beautiful. We need to stop and look at it to enjoy its beauty!

No comments: