Thursday, October 25, 2007

My first love letter!

I know most of my friends will be curious to read this one to know if it was actually to Rajesh (my husband). Well, sorry to disappoint you guys but it is not. If it was it would not have been a suspense thriller! This was in the year 1998. I was pursuing my masters at College of Engineering, Osmania University. The university organizes a cultural festival every year called “All-go-rhythms”.

This was the first time for me. I was all excited and went around with my friends participating in various competitions like collaging, crossword competition, whose line is it anyway, things like that. I was with two of my friends who stopped at a class room which had “Billet-Doux” on a board in front of it. They said lets go and participate. The competition already started so we had to enter the room and take our seats. I was not sure what it was about (I did not take French in school. “Billet-Doux” in French means love letter) but looking at others I figured out that it was some kind of writing competition.

I was interested in writing anyways, so took a seat with a sheet of white paper in front of me. One of the organizers read the instructions, two of them to be precise. “Write a love letter”, “You have 1 hour time”. That’s it. I was shocked. My friends chuckled and started writing immediately. I did not know what to do. Reason, I never believed in love. I never encouraged love affairs in my life. By then I already counseled a few people on why they should never get involved with a guy or a girl. I saw very few romantic movies but as a critic. I always made fun of the lovers and the whole concept of romance in the movies.

Clock was ticking and I tried to look at the participants in the room. I was the only one who was not writing anything. After 30 minutes, my paper was still blank as I was absolutely clueless. My friends were all smiles, giggling, blushing as they were writing and asking for additional sheets. I was embarrassed. I always have an answer for every question and I felt ashamed for not being able to put a single line on the paper. So I wrote.

I remember that I have written some thing very philosophical. Well, I could have imagined that if I have a boy friend what would I say to him but I was too dumb in that one area. Usually people do not forget the first things in life. And this was my first love letter to an organizer of the competition may be but what ever it is, the first love letter I ever wrote. I do not remember the contents. I wish I met the guy who read it and asked his opinion!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome ......
this is one of its kind of best love letter I ever heard of akka....
how i wish i could know the content of your love letter and see the person who read it...
The best part of your blog is your innocence , i love that and one thing is for sure ,people who know you will die of excitement thinking "madhu and love letter?"

well, i liked it akka
as always keep it up.

Unknown said...

madhu hahahahahah
and u know wat hhahah my god hahahahahah wat else to say about the muh awaited madhus first love letter hahahahahah u r too much hahahaha .. i hope this comment of min e will be one of its kind just like ur love letter.

Anonymous said...

every person has some hidden feelings in them , even though they don't express it upfront, or for the fear of others. its basic human nature to like someone, to care for someone, to think abt someone who cares for them, and these kind of feelings come out best when some thing of this kind happens. when u r asked to write abt a person whom u love, u can go on writing loads and loads abt them. i would say this is one way of letting out the feeling in you. may be we all should try this out for our own , try writing it down abt the person whom we like and read it. it would be real fun.

the best part was people asking for additional sheets. he heeeeeee. i remember during my exams i never went up to the use to additional sheets but if i am asked to write about a person i love, i think additional sheets wont also be adequate.

nice blog. we would be happy to read the contents of your real love letters madhuri , rather than the competitions ones.

just joking

Madhuri said...

Hello Anonymous,

I do agree with you that one can write a lot about their love. When I said I was not able to I did not have any such person in my life at that point of time or any past affairs to write about. If you ask me now, I can write a lot asking for additional sheets in fact.

About the competition, I remember one of my friends wrote a poem!

About the real contents of my love letters, well, I don’t mind sharing them with others but my husband is very particular. He says they are his property and I cannot disclose them with out his concern. But I would write about my love story some time some where.

Madhuri

Anonymous said...

"My friends were all smiles, giggling, blushing as they were writing and asking for additional sheets." ---- > This line is gr8. writing a love letter in an hour was a task...over that, people took additional sheets...hmm...in college...competition matters!!!!