Sunday, September 2, 2007

Soul Searching

What is soul searching? These days some of my friends are into soul searching. I listen carefully to their versions but never understood what it is all about. One of my friends’s said it is about finding what you really want in life. I feel that if I try too hard to find out what makes me happy and if I cannot get it I will be unhappy. So basically I guess I am searching for unhappiness.

Yahoo has come up with a soul-search engine now. They claim to help users find what’s deep inside them. I don’t think I am ready to use it to find out what I really want. I feel that as a married woman and a mom of a toddler I have some responsibilities. I feel that it is selfish to neglect my loved ones who are dependent on me to find out my real passions.

Firstly the process requires lot of thinking leading to emotional trauma which I am not sure if I can take it with a full time job, and a family. I guess I should take a break from my job and let go of my responsibilities to pursue some thing which I am not sure of. But at the end of it say I found out that I really love to do a certain something which will not fit into my day with my current responsibilities then what? I will be disappointed and that will affect my daily routine.

Then I thought may be I can start soul searching once my son goes to college where I can spare some time. But that is optimistic thinking because who knows what is in store in our future. I need to be practical about what I am giving up. I need to have a contingency plan if my search fails.

I feel that if you are single and you did realize that you need to do some soul searching it is perfect timing. But if you are in the age group of 20-30 then you are missing on the romance, dating and all that kind of fun which will never come back later in your life. What if I did find some thing I really like, but may be I do not have any experience in that field and I try it out for couple of years and I feel that I am not good at it then what?

Life is all about being happy. If I can find contentment in what I have and what I do I guess that is enough. Listening to my friends from the past year made me think about soul searching. But I don’t think I want to do it, at least at this point of time in my life!

4 comments:

Mytreyi said...

hmm. dont think soul searching is abt what you want in life. if u ask me, knowing what u want in life is very simple.
good question. soul searching - i would say its about knowing urself completely. in and out.
knowing ur weekness, strenghtness. going over what you have done in life so far. has it been good? bad? do u have the attitude to change the bad. etc etc.
well, thats what i think is soul searching.
its quite a difficult job i feel...

Unknown said...

Same feelings...Soul searching is knowing about yourselves..innerself..its just my 2 cents :-)

Madhuri said...

Well, I had dicussions with some of my friends who were thinking about what they want to do with their life and if certain events could change them or hinder their progress towards their dreams. And then I read an article about Yahoo launching a new soul search engine. The testimonials said they were able to know what they want in life by the search results using this search engine!

That was the basis for my article. Both of your explanation also makes sense.

Unknown said...

The mad rush of daily routine might drown us out most of the time but it would do a lot of good to occasionally sit down,shut the world out n look inside whatz going on inside our mind..not in a superficial way but dig a little deeper.Im sure we learn a lot about ourselves and where we are heading.In a way,we probably have more reasons to be glad about ourselves than not.Atleast, the simple fact that we are breathing in and out shoould make us feel "Alive" again and a huge reason to celebrate in iteself coz it gives us the ability to explore the various "possibilties" in life and it is this very exploration that keeps us going.I dont even mean to say u gotta do big things in life when i say "exploration".Simple pleasures in life which lot of us take for granted ..for eg. right now,my ability to share my ideas through this laptop n internet n blog ..would seem very wondorous once you realise how shortlived and fragile our lives are..so i would suggest my dear readers "waste not a moment in living up"..each day is yet another chance u derserved to enjoy.So,go ahead and embrace this beautiful celebration called "life" in everyway you can..big or small!!..umm...that was quite some soul searching i seem to have done to myself!..well..i do notice that some my thoughts come across loud and clear only when i give them an outlet..may b in the process of trying to express myself i dig deeper into my thoughts and sometimes im amazed at what i just think up!..anyways,madhu,like you mentioned in a previous reply u started this topic with a different theme in mind but the very title "soul searching" inspired me into a different direction.