Monday, August 20, 2007

Pay it forward – Is it possible?

This is the title of a movie released in the year 2000 with a concept of “When someone does you a big favor, don't pay it back... Pay It Forward.” These are the rules when you pay it forward

1. It has to be something that really helps people.
2. Something they can't do by themselves.
3. I do it for them; they do it for three other people.

I think this is a great concept. If we can implement it in real life it would make wonders. Now, how realistic and possible is this idea? We help people in different ways. We take it for granted and feel satisfied that we helped someone. But what is really helping people?

In the movie they show it as a 12 year old kid getting a homeless guy to his house without his mother’s knowledge to provide him with shelter and food. Can I do that? Even if I do something like that will my family approve of the deed? What is the guarantee that the person does not cause harm to me? All this is selfish thinking but it is human to think this way. In a perfect world may be the person’s conscious does not allow him/her to cause harm in any way to the helping person.

Not to expect any gratitude in return is a big deal. That said can I ask someone I helped to pay it forward by helping at least one other person? Why will they do it? The thing is I should be really determined to change the world. This is more like a revolution. I may fail in my attempts several times. I should not loose hope. I should try until I find someone who will do what I asked them to do.

The probability that someone will pay it forward might be very less. Now let’s assume that someone really did pay it forward. What if I do not know that he/she did that? If I get to know it might be inspirational to continue the good deed. I do not think I have the capability to bring this kind of revolution. I would like to try this out sometime but I guess I will give up after sometime.

I consider myself helpful. To my knowledge I have helped all the people who came to me for help, whom I felt would need help (though they did not ask me). But recently, I volunteered to help someone. They did not show any gratitude and then expected more from me. I felt they were not in need of my help and can get on with out me helping them. But to this day I feel guilty for avoiding that person in fear of having to help more!

No comments: