Friday, September 21, 2007

I found something in Orkut…

I was introduced to Orkut by my sister in law a year ago. She told me that she met many of her old friends via Orkut. Obviously the next day I opened an Orkut account and met some old friends. I spent a few days chatting with the people I got in touch with after a decade. But what interested me the most is the capacity to investigate a person’s profile. I explored the application and edited the settings not to be seen by others when I visit their profile. Now I felt like a detective! I had the power to sneak into other’s world.

I started reading some of my friend’s scraps and their responses to figure out the hottest and latest in their lives. I came to know of the secret romances, live-in relationships, marriage dates even before I got the invitation, flirt styles of my relatives and friends – it was so interesting. It was like a gossip magazine for me. It became a habbit, something like reading a news paper!

Why are people publicizing their life so much? It is a well known fact that the scraps are public. If the scraps in your friends scrap book they are visible. So if a guy is interested in a girl or vice versa, it is very easy to know everything about the person or for an outsider like me about both of them by reading their more than 1000 scraps!

I have a friend whose relative is having an affair with a guy. It seems it is kept secret from her extended family. She says she is still not sure with whom she may get married. Now my curious friend raided her scrap book and found out the guy in her friend’s list and then she filtered all her scraps to him and the other way too. It turned out that they have the most public romance ever exchaning cute and cuddly dialogues via Orkut. That guy even posted a snap with her in his album. Interesting isnt it? She tells me she cannot wait leaking this news to everyone!

Another friend of mine, saw a girl in a wedding. He was interested in her and wanted to know more about her. He could’nt get much information on her in that wedding. But thanks to Orkut now he knows everything about her and her family as she has all the conversations with her sister in Orkut.

Why don’t the Orkut users use the application to find friends and take the conversations offline via email or Instant Messaging where you can have private conversations? The worst part is some people get offended that others are reading their scrap books. Is this invading their privacy? I don’t think so. Something put on display is meant to be watched! I stopped my subscription to People magazine after Orkut happened in my life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its all down to a simple question. what u do with the info u get from the scraps. well i found out who the guy is in the marriage ,
found him out after a gap of two years. now the thing is , what do i do , do i go and talk to him directly, what do i know abt him. nothing. well by reading his scraps atleast i got to know what he is, his likes and dislikes,what his friends think abt him, what they talk abt. orkut is a simple personal search engine , nothing more that it. i met lotz and lotz of my friends thru orkut .it gives u a platform to express urself on the bigger screen. people rite what they are and what they except from others , there personal interets , there likes and dislikes. its like a communication tool if used on a correct scale. as far as the public scraps thing is concerned it depends on you , what u want people to read and infer from it abt u. as far as ur other friend's relative is concerned, it should be on her , what she wants and whom she wants to tell abt her affair. at the end of the day its her call. if ur friend knows abt it , then the best thing to do is just leave that thing and respect her privacy.

ITS UR ATITUDE, BUT NOT UR APTITUDE THAT DETERMINES UR ALTITUDE

Madhuri said...

Well my friend!

What do I do from the info I get from the scraps? Nothing. Have some fun reading them thats it. About knowing about others what they are like etc etc I do agree. In that way it gives us a lot of info about the other person's profile.

But when I like some one, I prefer to know him personally by talking to him and hearing from him. I feel that the first few conversations with a stranger are very thrilling. I would prefer knowing about the person all by myself not from some scraps.

Meeting friends is the best feature of Orkut. I agree, I too met many of my old friends and I am glad I met them.

I am just not comfortable at the level of publicity given to a relatonship. I am not against PDA(Public Display of Affection) but ummmmmm, I would prefer to keep my romantic gestures to my boy friend secret. Not the whole world know about it. Again it is me. I just menioned it nothing wrong about it.

My friend did not leak the affair to anyone yet, but it is too tempting. Dont you think so? I was just kidding when I said that she wanted to leak the news!