Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Yin-Yang of Acupuncture

I have been suffering from back pain for a few months now. I have tried various treatments but nothing seemed to help. Finally I tried Acupuncture. The thought of needles scared me initially but I did go after hearing the testimonials.

Acupuncture is based on the concept of Yin and Yang. Yin being a feminine energy and Yang is the masculine one. They are interdependent yet always in conflict with each other. Any imbalance between these two energies (which is bound to happen due to the conflicting nature) causes illness.

Once I read this it sounded something familiar, something like the marital relationship (of a man and a woman – better be specific!). I can speak of our generation in particular. Gone are the days when wife was humble, obedient, dependant on the husband. These days both of them are almost equals - educational qualifications, financial status etc. So the conflict between them is stronger than ever.

As part of the diagnosis of the problem, I took a test that showed the levels of Yin-Yang energies in my body. They need to balance out to be healthy. After identifying the problem areas needles were inserted into my arm for few minutes. It was miraculous. I had no pain at the end of the treatment. The problem does come back with less intensity but a few sessions will remove the pain completely.

The treatment for the problem causing area was to remove the block caused by the dominance of one of them (Yin or Yang). I thought if there was some kind of treatment available for our relationships too which can do the same, that is, resolve the problem in a few minutes by interfering. I guess that is what marriage counselors do!

It occurred to me that health is analogous to our marriage. We try to take good care of our health. When we get sick we do what ever it takes, compromise with most of the things to get well. I guess we need to do the same thing with our marriage too.

2 comments:

Mytreyi said...

hmm.. such thing for relationships??? well, I dont think there is anything like that. If there is any such thing to save relationships, it would be one-self.
for e.g., marriage- the main thing that comes between a husband and wife is Ego. Well, in most of the cases. and i myself am responsible for my ego.

most of the cases if you know that you are wrong and you are ready to accept that you are wrong, half the problem is gone. but accepting that you are wrong in front of your better half will solve the remaining 50% and that is where ego comes in. so you overcome this ego and there you go! the problem is solved.
so now is the question, what if your other half is wrong and not ready to accept. well, then comes ego+patience. mellow down your ego and accept the other half as he/she is. patience - wait for the time when the other half comes back to his/her senses.

and then she/he is the better half!

well.. getting too philosophical :-) but this is my formula and it really works :-)

Madhuri said...

Well, I agree completely to what you said and very well said.

So when the other person is wrong and they are not ready to accept, I would try different ways (peaceful of course) to make them understand why I think they are wrong. Patience is good. But some times they may not know that they are hurting us or we are not convenient with what they are doing. This way there is a deadlock situation.

I should be heard. If they know the problem they might work towards a solution.