Friday, September 18, 2009

The Jane Austen’s Book Club

I saw a movie “The Jane Austen's Book club” today. I really liked it. More than the movie story, I liked the concept of the book club, all of them reading the same book by Jane Austen and discussing their opinions, questions, views on the characters and arguing/debating was interesting.

I wish I were in a book club. I have never been in one before. I don’t remember knowing first hand any book club. I never did group study either. Hence don’t know much about reading groups. I never worked with another team member till recently at work. So not sure how good I am in a team.

Since I hardly read anything before, it is very hard to find some one for my book club. Meaning what ever I plan to read now might have been already read by any person I would like to invite to join my club.

I am pretty sure there will be tons of book clubs online but not interested in joining anything online now. I did discuss the very few books I read with like minded people. But those were quite high level discussion nothing in detail about author’s writing style or how I perceive the characters things like that.

One way is I can get a book, read it, find out from one of my friend’s if they read it already (I am pretty sure at least 3 or 4 very close friends of mine would have read the books I am interested in more than once) and discuss with them. None of these friends live close by (some live in different continents) so it should be one of chat, email, or phone conversation.

Will it be the same as talking to them in person? I don’t think so. It would be good if we can meet once a week in one of those ancient coffeehouses and discuss the book. Wishful thinking! Wait, I have a blogger friend who might be interested. Let me call her and see if she is interested J

I did not read any of Jane Austen's books. I read Pride and Prejudice – in school. Saw the movie. But based on my one experience – I read Da Vinci Code first and then saw the movie; I know that watching a movie is not the same as reading the book.

So I decided to get all the 6 novels by Jane Austen and read them. I also ordered the movies based on these novels on Netflix. I just love movies and Theater, just can’t resist. Actually I might come up with an article on movies based on novels after this experiment!

I am really excited about this adventure of mine. One of my college friends recently said that if I made up my mind about some thing I accomplish it. I want to see if it is true or if I still have it with this new exciting book reading adventure.

If any of you are interested in joining my book club contact me. We will see if we are compatible to proceed:-)


No comments: