Thursday, May 15, 2008

Why are you a man?

My son is 3yrs 7mths old now. He started asking why for every word we say, every sound we make, and every thing he sees around. It is so difficult to answer (correctly that is) to all his questions. I am very particular to answer his questions to precision as my point is that he is learning every second. But my husband takes it easy.

He gives him all weird answers which I do not like but you know I try to ignore them not to start a fight :-)I think I can write a book on the questions he asks. They are so interesting. I mean I am surprised by his curiosity and his memory power. He remembers every answer I give him and uses them later when time comes. So I better be careful in answering his questions.

Yesterday (Friday) my husband was having breakfast and my son jumps to sit on his lap and looks at his face closely. My husband does not shave on Friday and the weekend. So he saw traces of moustache and beard on his dad's face and started his interrogation. Here is their conversation:

Son: Dad! What is this on your lips? (He touches it and asks him)
Dad: It is hair (I thought why he can’t say moustache - I usually give him a look, why can’t you answer properly :-) To that he says, will you relax, I am having fun with him. Shouldn’t I ever have fun with my Son?

Son: Hair? No it is not hair. They are whiskers.
Dad: He smiles heartily, gives him a kiss and says no they are not whiskers, it is called moustache.

Son: Why do you have hair on your lips? Hair should be on your head
Dad: Ok hair that grows on lips is called moustache. You want one?

Son: Moustache? Why do you have moustache?
Dad: Because I am a man

Son: You are a man? Why do you have hair on your chin too?
Dad: Hair that grows on the chin is called beard.

Son: Beard? Why do you have a beard?
Dad: Because I am a man

Son: You have moustache and beard because you are a man?
Dad: That’s rightSon: Why are you a man?(I loved this question.....I was waiting to see how he answers it)

Dad: Puzzled look smiles and says if you ask me more questions you will get whiskers and beard like me. You want them now?

Son: Mom, why is daddy a man? (Now it's my turn to impart knowledge to my son)
Me: Ummmmmm because he is a grown up boy and when you grow up you will be a man

Son: I will be a man? Why will I be a man?
Me: Boys when they grow up they become men

Son: When I grow up will I get whiskers too?
Me: They are not called whiskers. It is a moustache. You will get both a moustache and a beard

Son: Starts crying. I don’t want to be a man. I want to be a boy. I don’t want whiskers, I don’t like dad.
Me: Why don’t you like him? You love him and he loves you so much.

Son: He says that I will get whiskers and beard. I don’t want to be like him.

From then on I tease my husband asking him why is he a man :-)

No comments: